Thursday, August 13, 2009

2009-08-13-Ride through Spiti left bank High Altitude villages

Photos:


Videos:

1.      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WFJJSNYmVA - Commentary by Zen from Trolley at Chicham Bridge

2.      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2CRKgXqp_g - Zen coming back in the trolley again

3.      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPmwLnjyJNU - Martin in the trolley across Chicham Bridge being constructed
 
4.      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adpR24WMeBc - Zen in the trolley across Chicham Bridge being constructed

5.      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQQUdM9wzss - Down to the Bike from Balaari top

6.      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N7WJl5FUqc - Balaari Top

7.      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILAbYXLPoMU - Almost there on Balaari top Demul Village view

Travelogue:

Enough of riding planning rides like day 1 – X to Y, Day 2 – Y to Z etc… This time I just wanted to spend time in a relatively small area where I can spend a week and totally enjoy the place, and since I am addicted to the High altitude barren mountain terrain it had to be Spiti valley. Spiti valley itself needs lot of  time to fully explore so I decided to just stick to the high altitude left bank villages of Spiti river – Langza, Hikkim, Komic, Demul, Kibber, Tashigang, Gette and lastly the Lalung village the last one in Lingti valley (tributary of Spiti river) after which there is no human inhabitation there. For this my base would be Kaza, the main village in Spiti valley where I had booked a small room in Hotel Sakya Abode (very nice food and service) for Rs.150/- day.

It was a bit of a depressing start of my trip. Just one day before amidst the swine flu scare my son was down with fever. The day I went to catch the train from Mumbai Central station half the people were wearing masks for the Swine Flu scare. By gods grace it just turned out to be normal flu for my son and I was a relieved man the rest of the ride.

Since it was my first solo ride to the Himalayas I was a bit anxious (just a bitJ) on how things would go. But I had lot of support from the Delhi guys from 60 kph to make the start of the ride a very relaxed one by coming to the New Delhi station and helping me with the bike and luggage. I had sent my bike as a parcel by train a week before since I was alone this time and loading the bike the same day of travel on ticket would have been a major hassle.

There started my ride from New Delhi station at 10:00 AM towards Manali. I was happy finally to be on the road. But to tell frankly the journey from Delhi to Manali was a very boring one with 4 lane highways for some time, some dusty under construction for road widening. Stayed put at Bilaspur first night and then straight to Old Manali, my favorite to spend time in Manali.

I rested for a day in Manali so as to be fresh before I start my actual journey into the mountains of Spiti Valley. Eric, my friend and fellow 60 kph club member was kind enough to spend time with me and also feed me real good Mutton Momo at a local Dhaba at the small village where he stays further away from Manali towards Rohtang pass.

I was anxious to cross Rohtang pass since I had heard stories of the road being full of slush and people getting stuck in landslides and bikers burning clutch plates and having trouble crossing it, maybe more to do with lack of skill with riding on such roads.

I started at 7:00 am for Rohtang so that I avoid the peak tourist traffic and also have some buffer if things take turn for the worse. The road was a smooth sailing with some bad patches but became worse after Marhi. And finally the landslide. I was stuck at one place for 2 hours till the bulldozers cleared the slush.

When you are traveling solo, its just namesake I would say. You always find a fellow traveler on the way. Just after the turn to Spiti valley from the main Leh-Manali road I met an Austrian, Beat who was also going to Spiti. We traveled together till Kaza with an overnight halt at Batal, a small temporary summer settlement on the Manali-Kaza road.

After I took the turn from Gramphoo to the Spiti valley road the real fun starts. Not many vehicles ply on this road compared to the Leh-Manali road. The terrain is unforgiving and rocky with nala’s on the way but the scenery more than makes up for the trouble. The green mountains at Rohtang give way to Sharp rocky barren mountains of Spiti. You suddenly find a green patch in the middle of no where indicating a village and human inhabitation where they cultivate Green Peas and Potatoes mostly.

I had a bad night at Batal due to altitude sickness, but the clear blue skies in the morning with the snow visible on mountain peaks more than made up for the bad night and I was again raring to go, eagerly waiting to do the steep climb to Kumzum La pass at 4500 meters. The bike did struggle at times but finally made it to the top. The scenery around Kumzum top was mind blowing with Barren snow clad peaks and mountains in hues and shades of brown, beige and black. Finally at 2:00 pm we reached Kaza where I and Beat went on to stay at different hotels and had different plans.

I would be in Kaza for a week exploring the left bank high altitude villages of Spiti Valley. That’s the way I like to travel, reach your base quickly and then no more running around from place A to place B. Just explore a small area and really absorb the beauty and the culture of the place.

I booked a small room at Sakya Abode in Kaza, just enough for one person and the luggage. I relaxed in Kaza for a day taking a small walk at a temple situated on a hill top to get used to the altitude. Even that short excursion makes you breathless at that altitude and following days I would be going higher so going was not to be easy.

I decided to visit Langza village first. The road climbs up on the mountain from the Kaza side and finally crosses over to the other side leading higher in the mountains. Taking frequent breaks on such roads is an amazing feeling, not a soul in sight, no sounds at all, just the serene silence, the clear blue skies and the barren mountains with snow capped peaks and some times the sound of the river gurgling downwards into the deep canyons. On the way to Langza I met a family from that village in the field. I sat for quite some time with them and their 3 children at the Green Peas field. They invited me to their house for a night stay in the beautiful Langza village.

The houses in all the higher up villages have a very great Tibetan influence. They are made of Stones and covered with cow dung I suppose and white washed. The Kitchen, hall and dining room is one common room where they have a place to sit in L shape with the stove in the center which has a chimney leading to the top so that there is no smoke inside the house but it also helps in keeping the room warm in sub zero winter temperatures. The bedrooms are separate and the toilet is nothing but a hole with a big cavity beneath to store your undoing J

Langza is a beautiful village surrounded by lush green fields situated in the foreground of the Chocho Khang Nilda peak. The unique feature in Langza is that on a hilltop overlooking the village there is a huge Buddha statue besides the monastery.

The Spiti Valley was formed as a result of the collision of the Indian and the Eurasian plate millions of years ago which led to the disappearance of the ancient Tethy’s Sea leaving behind fossilized clues of the sea life of that era. The route to the natural fossil centre starts from the Lang (temple) at Langza, from where it is about a half hour walk to its base. The fossil centre ranges from an average altitude of 4400 meters to 4600 meters along a narrow stream and is best explored here.

I relaxed at their home after having simple lunch of rice dal after which I decided to visit Komic and Hikkim villages. The ride to Komic and Hikkim was also through equally scenic terrain. The monk at Komic monastery was kind enough to take me to the Old Monastery at Hikkim which was broken down during an earthquake so was shifted to Komic and is the current Komic monastery. The old monastery is further down from Hikkim towards Kaza on the new road built as a shortcut to Kaza from Hikkim. There is a meditation cave 20 minutes by foot from the old Monastery down in the valley where the monks go to meditate. Seeing both these places at leisure made my day. We could see Kaza town from the Old Monastery deep in the valley. These small walks seem to be easy when we compare the time taken but at 4200 meters there is hardly any oxygen to breadth that after every 10-15 steps I had to pause for breadth like an unfit couch potatoJ.

It was a very uncomfortable night at Langza with me waking up at 2:00 AM with a head ache, usual symptoms of high altitude sickness. I requested the owner of the house to give me warm water and luckily I felt better and got sleep after 4:00 AM.

Next day was spent visiting the fossil center at Langza, before heading down again to Kaza to get comfortable nights sleep before I leave for the remote Demul village further away from Kaza.

I started walking ahead from the Langza monastery towards the Chocho Khang Nilda peak and followed a small irrigation canal which would finally lead me to the Fossil area and I hoped to find at least one fossil.

I found a flat plateau where I decided to take some rest. The place was so scenic that I sat for quite some time soaking the Mountain View and the warm sun light of Spiti. Later I had a short nap of 20 minutes and a villager who saw me came to me to ask what the hell I was doing here. I was lucky enough to find a fossil also, after which I turned back to the village and started riding back to Kaza through the shortcut via Hikkim. The road was full of stones since it was not fully open to traffic but fun to ride on.

I reached Kaza at 3 PM and relaxed in my room after a good lunch of Rice and Spring roll. Evenings at Kaza were usually spent just sitting at the hotel reception watching television or at the Verandah soaking the view.

Next day I was off to Demul. It is the remotest region of the left bank villages. I was all excited about the next 2 days I would be spending here. The dirt road climbs steeply on the mountain from Lidang village which is on the main Kaza-Tabo road. After some time when you feel you have almost reached the top, another mountain pass comes into picture and the scenery changes totally. From the totally barren beige mountains, it changes to a bit green and the mountains have a greenish, purple tinge. The road climbs higher towards the Dolmolama top which is the highest point on the Demul road. The views from there were simply amazing difficult to describe in words. I reached Demul village in around 15 minutes and was a steep downhill from the top.

The village was fully empty when I reached there. The people had gone to the farms or to the pastures high above or involved in road construction. Not sure what to do I waited for some time and luckily there was an old lady who came to my rescue. She guided me to a home where a man was there so I took my luggage and rested there. It was very kind of the man to let me stay there for the night. It would have been really tiring to shift the luggage from one house to another since they are located on the mountain slope and not on flat ground.

After some rest I decided to go for a trek to the Balaari Top which is a 1 hour trek from the Dolmolama top. All the 18 villages are visible from the top and it gives the most stunning views of the Spiti valley than any other place.

The trekking / Yak trail starts little after the Dolmolama top towards Lidang side. I thought of shortening the trek by taking the bike up this trail as much as I could, and did save around half hour walk by doing this, though I had to push my bike once to get over a stubborn incline. After precariously parking my bike at the incline I started to walk with minimum luggage like water, camera and dry fruits. The walk was very exhausting since it is a continuous incline till the top. The view from the top was amazing. Never in my life had I seen such depth of a valley. I could see the Lalung village, Dhankar Monastery, the road going towards Tabo and Kaza and many more villages and roads and most important the amazing view of the Spiti Valley. I rested on the top for 10 minutes and then rushed back down in 20 minutes since it was a total downhill and the altitude was not making it comfortable to stay on top for long. After this I was really tired so went back to the village and rested the remaining of the evening without going out.

Next day I tackled the abandoned Demul-Komic link road. It was all but not a road in any sense. There were blasted rocks all over the place, sometimes so narrow that it was difficult to maneuver the bike through the road due to fallen stones and debris. Once the rocky torture got over (I did not dare and stop for photos at such places), started the sand track and then a broken bridge and partially washed away road. They had just put sand on the road without doing any further work. I was lucky to be traveling with no luggage or else the bike would surely get stuck. But the scenery on this route was unique. It was very green all the way with the road going further up over a pass and finally to Komic. The greenery is more on this route since the animals also don’t come here for grazing so it’s all very un-spoilt and gives a wild touch to this route, some thing like Chumur.

I met the traveler from Rome (Domenic) whom I had befriended at Kaza at Komic. We had a small tea and dry fruits and biscuit party along with the monk. After this it was a quick ride to Kaza via Langza.

Back to Kaza, I just had one more day to explore this amazing region before I would need to leave for Delhi so decided to do a one day trip to Kibber and Tashigang which is further ahead. It was supposed to be a comparatively predictable and easy day, but I guess god had other plans for me. I went towards the dirt road to Chicham village which was under construction and the missing link from Kibber to Chicham was supposed to be a bridge which was still not built. I thought just in case if I can find a way across.

I reach the missing link through some very rocky road and what do I see – an 800 meter deep canyon carved out by one of the tributaries of Spiti. The bridge construction had just started so going to Chicham was out of question. But yes there was a way. I met 3 Germans Martin, Sasha and Torsten who were going towards the bridge and were planning to do the trolley crossing across the canyon. I immediately decided I got to do this and shamelessly without asking I told them I would be joining you guys J

The canyon was connected by a thick steel cable on which the trolley rolled with the help of pulleys. The trolley could be moved in either direction by pulling the nylon ropes connected to either end of the canyon. This made the trolley crossing pretty much independent, not needing any one to help you.

Martin crossed first, and then it was my turn. That’s when I realized it was not as easy, but well it was a thrilling experience to get stuck up there in the middle of the canyon in the trolley trying to figure out how to handle the bunch of ropes and also shooting a videoJ. I crossed over to the other side and again came back so that I can go further ahead to Tashigang. Martin would be trekking in the canyon and back to Kibber which would take around 5 hours. I crossed over back to the other side and the nylon rope broke. My luck or else I would have been trekking with Martin to reach Kibber instead of enjoying the ride to Tashigang J

Tashigang is a very small village of 6 houses. The route is as well remote and amazing pastures en-route which would serve as ideal camping ground. I had tea at the village and then went further up on the road which takes you to the summer pasture hut (Dagdi). I could see Langza village from there, which I could identify by the Hilltop Buddha statue and the Monastery. This completes the whole picture of the route I took during my 7 days here and I sort of got a very satisfying feeling of completeness of this ride.

Back to Kaza and it was time to pack up and move towards Delhi. I decided to go via the Shimla route to avoid the bad Kaza Manali road. On the way I visited Lalung Monastery (1000 year old with a tree supposed to be of the same age) and the Dhankar link road which I had missed in 2004. Lalung is the last inhabited village in the remote Lingti valley, after which it’s a vast mountainous terrain still unexplored. Both the monasteries are old and very beautiful and serene. But I was in a hurry now to cross Malling which has a bad reputation as a chronic landslide zone so had to rush a bit and could not enjoy this to my hearts content. 


With Malling no longer a challenge (I crossed it at 5 PM with no problem at all. They have closed down the old road and built a new one high above the landslide zone) it would be a comparatively smooth ride to Delhi.  I camped at a beautiful campsite near Chitkul by the road, before rushing to Delhi. The Baspa valley is lush green and full of pine trees which gave an apt green ending to my ride.

Thank you for reading till the end J

Cheerz
Zen

No comments:

Post a Comment